Monday, February 10, 2014

NICU Day 7: 1 week old

This past week as been quite a ride. But before I go back and recap everything that happened on this blog, I wanted to start documenting all of Colton's milestones in the NICU. Today is a good day…

1 week old

Dear Colton…

Today you are 1 week old. Mommy and Daddy can't believe it has already been a week since you were born. Although the day started off a little rough for Mommy and Daddy--since Daddy had to go back to work and Mommy came to the hospital by herself…and she missed your 9 a.m. feeding because of traffic--your strength and determination made our rough morning disappear in an instant.

When Mommy got to the hospital today, Dr. Mike (the neonatologist) quickly came over to give me an update on your progress since yesterday. There were so many milestones that you reached today and Daddy and Mommy are so, so proud of you.

One of the biggest milestones is that you fed from a bottle for the very first time. Such a huge accomplishment. One of the nice nurses fed you 5 ccs from the bottle and you were able to swallow it all by yourself. The doctor said that preemie babies typically don't learn the sucking and swallowing reflex until they are 34 weeks. But you are so strong that you already starting feeding from the bottle at 32 weeks and 4 days!

Oh, and you also got your IV out of your arm today. Thank goodness, because Mommy and Daddy sure didn't like seeing that needle in your arm every day and we're sure you didn't like it either.

You also received your head ultrasound today and it came back normal! This was such a huge relief for Mommy and Daddy! And maybe the best milestone yet is that Mommy and Daddy are able to hold you twice per day. Before today, we were only allowed to hold you for 30 minutes per day. It made Mommy very sad but we knew it was the best thing for you because the more you take a baby out of an incubator the more calories you burn. And we certainly don't want you to be burning any more calories than you absolutely have to!

We are still waiting to see if you gained any more weight today…our fingers are crossed! You're officially up to 25 ccs of food every 3 hours which is great!!!

And don't tell Daddy but Mommy has a secret. Mommy was sitting outside your incubator around 3:30p and I smelled something a little funky. I didn't think that I could smell your poopy diaper outside of the incubator, but I checked and sure enough there was poopy in your diaper. I've never been sooo happy to see poopy before! So, I decided to wait for Daddy to see your poopy himself when he gets here at 5:45p. Daddy has never changed a poopy diaper before so this will be a double surprise for him!  But shhhh, don't tell him!

You are still under the jaundice light, but Dr. Mike thinks the light will no longer be needed in a day or two. Mommy can't wait because she loves to look at your eyes and while you're under the light you have to wear these little adorable glasses that cover them up. I get sad when I can't see your eyes.

I held you today at Noon for almost an hour. You did a great job at breastfeeding for the first 10-15 minutes. Then you fell fast asleep on Mommy's chest as we rocked together in the chair.

We will always remember your one week birthday! We love you to the moon and back and can't wait for you to come home and meet your big brother Youkilis and to see your awesome room that Daddy painted and wallpapered.

We love you buddy. Stay strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment