Saturday, May 10, 2014

the 'adjusted age'

As a mom of a preemie, that is all I feel like I hear. At first it was "Well, technically he's not born yet so we'll just have to wait and see" when it came to anything related to Colton's development (growth, social and motor skills).

The adjusted age of a preemie is the age which is based on a baby's gestational age if born prior to 36 weeks. It's basically a more realistic way to manage expectations for a preemie developmentally.

I won't make this a long-winded post, but rather just a reminder to myself at how difficult it is to fully understand Colton's needs and how I can best help him developmentally.

I've all but forgotten about baby books. I started reading them, but then found myself feeling confused and unsure as to what chapter I should be reading. One for a three month old or for a one month old?

Instead I'm relying on materials given to me by my doctor and my motherly instincts to help Colton develop at his own natural pace, no matter what "typical" babies at his age are doing.

As someone who is admittedly a 'control freak,' this too has been a tough adjustment, but one I'm quickly learning to let go and let nature take its course.

In other words {or what my sister-in-law would say}, I'm "letting go, and letting God" lead the way.

Amen sista!




No comments:

Post a Comment